- Associate Professor
- Media and Cultural Studies
- 6134 Vilas Hall
- Mon 1:30 - 3:30pm. Please email if you plan to stop by.
Dr. Lopez's research examines the way that minority groups such as women, people of color, and queer communities use media in the fight for social justice. She is interested in struggles to improve the representation of disenfranchised groups within mainstream media, as well as the different ways that grassroots/activist media, digital media, and consumer culture all can play a role in transforming identities and communities. Her book Asian American Media Activism: Fighting for Cultural Citizenship (2016, NYU Press) examines the efforts of Asian Americans to impact the way that their community has been represented in mainstream media. Using ethnography, interviews, and archival research, it examines the work of traditional activists who have worked since the 1960s to protest and reform imagery, but also contextualizes the kinds of contemporary media activism undertaken by advertising agencies, fans, YouTube artists, and bloggers. Her newest research examines Hmong Americans and the culturally specific ways that they have created a media ecology rooted in micro media outlets that are owned and operated by only one or two individuals.
Dr. Lopez is the founder of the Race and Media Conference, which was first held at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2014. She is also a member of the Center for Critical Race and Digital Studies (https://criticalracedigitalstudies.com/), a collective of scholars of color supporting cutting edge research that investigates how race and inequality structurally organize digital architectures, identities, communities, cultural practices, and power relations.
As a dedicated scholar-activist, Dr. Lopez has long been focused on centering the voices of disenfranchised communities, as well as fostering collaborations between community organizations and academics. She is a board member at Freedom, Inc. in Madison, WI and supports their movement for Black and Southeast Asian liberation.
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 2012
- M.A. Indiana University, 2008
- B.A. Pomona College, 2006
- Early Career Achievement Award , Association for Asian American Studies , 2017
- Research-Service Grant , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2017
- Race, Ethnicity, and Indigeneity Fellowship , University of Wisconsin-Madison Institute for Research in the Humanities , 2016
- Outstanding Women of Color Award , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2015
- 2018. "Challenges of Accessing and Preserving ‘Hmong Radio’." New Review of Film & Television Studies , 18(4) , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/6wq81j9efrvbkmnwdcyzc99jvuc8qxvx.pdf .
- 2018. "Genealogies: Asian American Media Studies." Feminist Media Histories , 4(2): 20-24 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/hhj5e921ysvhnjnst7a5m3sx389zfjsh.pdf .
- 2017. "Always On the Phone: The Invisible Role of Hmong Women in Diasporic Media Industries." Communication, Culture and Critique , 10(2): 185-202 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/ptqkaq413bh6e2kspsvcxanh8uq2z3mm.pdf .
- 2016. "Mobile Phones as Participatory Radio: Developing Hmong Mass Communication in the Digital Age." International Journal of Communication , 10: 2038-2055 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/my57avlbfwzzjog3e5nxpsw9xx1ntydg.pdf .
- 2015. "A media campaign for ourselves: building organizational media capacity through participatory action research." Journal of Media Practice , 16(3): 228-244 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/69a2ejj649vquoh570fagotwhxijqwy7.pdf .
- 2014. "Blogging While Angry: The Sustainability of Emotional Labor in the Asian American Blogosphere." Media, Culture and Society , 36(4): 421-436 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/x0d9w1xokor669nctp3b.pdf .
- 2012. "Fan-Activists and the Politics of Race in The Last Airbender." International Journal of Cultural Studies , 15(5): 431-445 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/cbdid4v8xsra27a3j02u.pdf .
- 2011. "The Yellow Press: Asian American Radicalism and Conflict in Gidra." Journal of Communication Inquiry , 35(3): 235-251 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/cwouykmvnr4nzzmfy1b5.pdf .
- 2011. "Eating a Meal with the Other: The Ethical Challenges of Travel Food Shows." Popular Culture Review , 22(1): 99-107 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/kjn0zhx1mnwnkdwzcyjn.pdf .
- 2009. "The Radical Act of Mommy Blogging: Redefining Motherhood through the Blogosphere." New Media and Society , 11(4): 729-747 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/jjsnarc9rmqjb6qbpl3b.pdf .
- 2017. Routledge Companion to Asian American Media. New York: Routledge .
- 2016. Asian American Media Activism: Fighting for Cultural Citizenship. New York: NYU Press .
- 2018. "Bringing Race into Feminist Digital Media Studies." Feminist Approaches to Media Theory and Research , Dustin Harp, Jaime Loke, and Ingrid Bachmann Palgrave Macmillan .
- 2018. "ISAtv: YouTube and the Branding of Asian America." From Networks to Netflix: A Guide to Changing Channels , Derek Johnson Routledge .
- 2017. "The Ethics of Visibility: Disability, Race, and the Challenge of Mediated Empowerment." Disability Media Studies: Media, Popular Culture, and the Meanings of Disability , Elizabeth Ellcessor and Bill Kirkpatrick NYU Press .
- 2017. "Deploying Oppositional Fandoms: Activists’ Use of Sports Fandom in the Redskins Controversy (with Jason Lopez)." Fandom: Identities and Communities in a Mediated World , Jonathan Gray, Cornel Sandvoss, and C. Lee Harrington NYU Press .
- 2017. "Asian America Gone Viral: A Genealogy of Asian American YouTubers and Memes." The Routledge Companion to Asian American Media , Lori Kido Lopez and Vincent N. Pham New York: Routledge , 157-169 .
- 2016. "Building Digital Bridges: Digital Humanities and the Transformation of Asian American Studies (with Konrad Ng)." The Routledge Handbook of Asian American Studies , Cindy I-Fen Chen Routledge .
- 2016. "Asian American Food Blogging as Racial Branding: Rewriting the Search for Authenticity." Global Asian American Popular Cultures , Shilpa Dave, Tasha Oren, and LeiLani Nishime NYU Press .
- 2017. Professor Lori Kido Lopez to Receive Early Career Achievement Award. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2017/03/24/professor-lori-kido-lopez-receive-early-career-achievement-award. .
- 2016. Professor Lori Kido Lopez on the Limits of Racebending. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2016/12/22/professor-lori-kido-lopez-limits-racebending. .
- 2015. Professor Lopez, Outstanding Woman of Color for 2015-16. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2015/08/26/professor-lopez-outstanding-woman-color-2015-16. .
- 2015. Madison’s Asian American Media Spotlight. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2015/10/06/actorwriter-jacqueline-kim-talks-about-advantageous. .
- 2014. Lopez Creates Vilas Video Camp for Community Youth. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2014/11/11/lopez-creates-vilas-video-camp-community-youth. .
- CA 250 - Survey of Contemporary Media
- CA 347 - Race and Ethnicity in the Media
- CA 420 - Asian Americans in the Media
- CA 608 - Gender and Sexuality in the Media
- CA 950 - Race, Racism and Media (grad seminar)
- CA 950 - Feminist Media Studies (grad seminar)