- Associate Professor
- Media and Cultural Studies
- 6134 Vilas Hall
- Mon 1:30 - 3:30pm. Please email if you plan to stop by.
My research examines the way that minority groups such as women, racial minorities, and queer communities use media in the fight for social justice. I am interested in struggles to improve the representation of disenfranchised groups within mainstream media, as well as the different ways that grassroots/activist media, digital media, and consumer culture all can play a role in transforming identities and communities. My book Asian American Media Activism: Fighting for Cultural Citizenship (2016, NYU Press) examines the efforts of Asian Americans to impact the way that their community has been represented. Using ethnography, interviews, and archival research, it examines the work of traditional activists who have worked since the 1960s to protest and reform imagery, but also contextualizes the kinds of media activism undertaken by advertising agencies, fans, YouTube artists, and bloggers.
In my work I am dedicated to the blending of scholarship and activism, and highly value collaborations between community organizations and academics. My newest research examines Hmong Americans and the culturally specific ways that they are participating in the production and consumption of digital media, particularly considering the gendered dimensions of Hmong media cultures.
- Ph.D. University of Southern California, 2012
- M.A. Indiana University, 2008
- B.A. Pomona College, 2006
- Early Career Achievement Award , Association for Asian American Studies , 2017
- Research-Service Grant , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2017
- Race, Ethnicity, and Indigeneity Fellowship , University of Wisconsin-Madison Institute for Research in the Humanities , 2016
- Outstanding Women of Color Award , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2015
- 2016. "Always On the Phone: The Invisible Role of Hmong Women in Diasporic Media Industries." Communication, Culture and Critique , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/ptqkaq413bh6e2kspsvcxanh8uq2z3mm.pdf .
- 2016. "Mobile Phones as Participatory Radio: Developing Hmong Mass Communication in the Digital Age." International Journal of Communication , 10, 2038-2055 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/my57avlbfwzzjog3e5nxpsw9xx1ntydg.pdf .
- 2015. "A media campaign for ourselves: building organizational media capacity through participatory action research." Journal of Media Practice , 16 (3): 228-244 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/69a2ejj649vquoh570fagotwhxijqwy7.pdf .
- 2014. "Blogging While Angry: The Sustainability of Emotional Labor in the Asian American Blogosphere." Media, Culture and Society , 36 (4) , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/x0d9w1xokor669nctp3b.pdf .
- 2012. "Fan-Activists and the Politics of Race in The Last Airbender." International Journal of Cultural Studies , 15(5): 431-445 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/cbdid4v8xsra27a3j02u.pdf .
- 2011. "The Yellow Press: Asian American Radicalism and Conflict in Gidra." Journal of Communication Inquiry , 35(3): 235-251 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/cwouykmvnr4nzzmfy1b5.pdf .
- 2011. "Eating a Meal with the Other: The Ethical Challenges of Travel Food Shows." Popular Culture Review , 22 (1): 99-107 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/kjn0zhx1mnwnkdwzcyjn.pdf .
- 2009. "The Radical Act of Mommy Blogging: Redefining Motherhood through the Blogosphere." New Media and Society , 11(4): 729-747 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/jjsnarc9rmqjb6qbpl3b.pdf .
- 2016. Asian American Media Activism: Fighting for Cultural Citizenship. New York: NYU Press .
- 2017. Routledge Companion to Asian American Media. New York: Routledge .
- 2016. "Building Digital Bridges: Digital Humanities and the Transformation of Asian American Studies (with Konrad Ng)." The Routledge Handbook of Asian American Studies , Cindy I-Fen Chen Routledge .
- 2016. "Asian American Food Blogging as Racial Branding: Rewriting the Search for Authenticity." Global Asian American Popular Cultures , Shilpa Dave, Tasha Oren, and LeiLani Nishime NYU Press .
- 2017. "Deploying Oppositional Fandoms: Activists’ Use of Sports Fandom in the Redskins Controversy (with Jason Lopez)." Fandom: Identities and Communities in a Mediated World , Jonathan Gray, Cornel Sandvoss, and C. Lee Harrington NYU Press .
- 2017. "The Ethics of Visibility: Disability, Race, and the Challenge of Mediated Empowerment." Disability Media Studies: Media, Popular Culture, and the Meanings of Disability , Elizabeth Ellcessor and Bill Kirkpatrick NYU Press .
- 2014. Lopez Creates Vilas Video Camp for Community Youth. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2014/11/11/lopez-creates-vilas-video-camp-community-youth. .
- 2015. Professor Lopez, Outstanding Woman of Color for 2015-16. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2015/08/26/professor-lopez-outstanding-woman-color-2015-16. .
- 2015. Madison’s Asian American Media Spotlight. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2015/10/06/actorwriter-jacqueline-kim-talks-about-advantageous. .
- 2016. Professor Lori Kido Lopez on the Limits of Racebending. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2016/12/22/professor-lori-kido-lopez-limits-racebending. .
- 2017. Professor Lori Kido Lopez to Receive Early Career Achievement Award. https://commarts.wisc.edu/about/news/2017/03/24/professor-lori-kido-lopez-receive-early-career-achievement-award. .
- CA 250 - Survey of Contemporary Media
- CA 347 - Race and Ethnicity in the Media
- CA 420 - Asian Americans in the Media
- CA 608 - Gender and Sexuality in the Media
- CA 950 - Race, Racism and Media (grad seminar)
- CA 950 - Feminist Media Studies (grad seminar)