- Associate Professor
- Media and Cultural Studies
- 6134 Vilas Hall
- Mon 1:30 - 3:30pm. Please email if you plan to stop by.
My research examines the way that minority groups such as women, racial minorities, and queer communities use media in the fight for social justice. I am interested in struggles to improve the representation of disenfranchised groups within mainstream media, as well as the different ways that grassroots/activist media, digital media, and consumer culture all can play a role in transforming identities and communities. My book Asian American Media Activism: Fighting for Cultural Citizenship (2016, NYU Press) examines the efforts of Asian Americans to impact the way that their community has been represented. Using ethnography, interviews, and archival research, it examines the work of traditional activists who have worked since the 1960s to protest and reform imagery, but also contextualizes the kinds of media activism undertaken by advertising agencies, fans, YouTube artists, and bloggers.
In my work I am dedicated to the blending of scholarship and activism, and highly value collaborations between community organizations and academics. My newest research examines Hmong Americans and the culturally specific ways that they are participating in the production and consumption of digital media, particularly considering the gendered dimensions of Hmong media cultures.
- 2018. "Genealogies: Asian American Media Studies." Feminist Media Histories , 4(2): 20-24 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/hhj5e921ysvhnjnst7a5m3sx389zfjsh.pdf .
- 2018. "Challenges of Accessing and Preserving ‘Hmong Radio’." New Review of Film & Television Studies , 18(4) , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/6wq81j9efrvbkmnwdcyzc99jvuc8qxvx.pdf .
- 2017. "Always On the Phone: The Invisible Role of Hmong Women in Diasporic Media Industries." Communication, Culture and Critique , 10(2): 185-202 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/ptqkaq413bh6e2kspsvcxanh8uq2z3mm.pdf .
- 2016. "Mobile Phones as Participatory Radio: Developing Hmong Mass Communication in the Digital Age." International Journal of Communication , 10: 2038-2055 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/my57avlbfwzzjog3e5nxpsw9xx1ntydg.pdf .
- 2015. "A media campaign for ourselves: building organizational media capacity through participatory action research." Journal of Media Practice , 16(3): 228-244 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/69a2ejj649vquoh570fagotwhxijqwy7.pdf .
- 2014. "Blogging While Angry: The Sustainability of Emotional Labor in the Asian American Blogosphere." Media, Culture and Society , 36(4): 421-436 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/x0d9w1xokor669nctp3b.pdf .
- 2012. "Fan-Activists and the Politics of Race in The Last Airbender." International Journal of Cultural Studies , 15(5): 431-445 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/cbdid4v8xsra27a3j02u.pdf .
- 2011. "The Yellow Press: Asian American Radicalism and Conflict in Gidra." Journal of Communication Inquiry , 35(3): 235-251 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/cwouykmvnr4nzzmfy1b5.pdf .
- 2011. "Eating a Meal with the Other: The Ethical Challenges of Travel Food Shows." Popular Culture Review , 22(1): 99-107 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/kjn0zhx1mnwnkdwzcyjn.pdf .
- 2009. "The Radical Act of Mommy Blogging: Redefining Motherhood through the Blogosphere." New Media and Society , 11(4): 729-747 , https://uwmadison.box.com/shared/static/jjsnarc9rmqjb6qbpl3b.pdf .
- CA 250 - Survey of Contemporary Media
- CA 347 - Race and Ethnicity in the Media
- CA 420 - Asian Americans in the Media
- CA 608 - Gender and Sexuality in the Media
- CA 950 - Race, Racism and Media (grad seminar)
- CA 950 - Feminist Media Studies (grad seminar)