Sending Completed Application Materials
Application Deadline: December 15
Our graduate programs consider students for fall semester admission only.
Please submit your online application and fee (credit card or debit card), including the “Record of Residence” portion of the Graduate School Application for Admission.
Within the department, students may apply to only one track of study which must be indicated on the statement of purpose:
There are five supporting documents which complete the application:
- Statement of Purpose clearly telling us what you want to study and why you think you can do it here.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from academic sources. Email addresses of recommenders are submitted within the online application.
- Official GRE results sent to us from ETS. For international students a valid TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB score is also required. UW-Madison is institution #1846, no department code is necessary.
- PDFs of transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended after high school. Official transcripts will be requested upon admission.
- A writing sample, 15-20 pages long. This “supplemental application” material is uploaded within the online application.
A curriculum vita is welcome but not required; it can be uploaded within the online application.
Your application is not complete until your application fee is paid. Applications that are complete by December 15 are included in the initial review will be automatically considered for a teaching assistantship. There is no separate application for a teaching assistantship.
For additional information, check the Graduate School admission requirements and application checklist.
If you have questions or would like more information on the University of Wisconsin – Madison Department of Communication Arts Graduate Program, please contact:
Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Communication Arts
6112 Vilas Hall
821 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706