Comm Arts 614/615: Field Experience in Communication
This online undergraduate course, open to Comm Arts majors, accompanies field experiences supplementary to the academic study of communication. Field experiences or “internships” might include positions at local television or radio stations, advertising agencies, non-profit organizations or communication-related businesses.
- Minimum hours: Fall/Spring semesters – 8 hours/week; Summer – 120 hours
- Both paid and unpaid internships are eligible for credit
- Students may not enroll for two internships during the same semester or summer
- Comm Arts 615 cannot be a repetition or a continuation of Comm Arts 614
- Comm Arts 614 and 615 are offered for one credit each
- Summer interns will need to pay summer tuition for the credit
- Students can’t transfer credit earned through another university or college for Comm Arts 614/615
- Internship must be located in the United States
Once You Have Been Offered an Internship
Obtain a letter from your supervisor, on company letterhead and signed, that describes your responsibilities. Submit it to Mary Rossa, the internship credit coordinator, for approval:
Comm Arts Advisor
6068 Vilas Hall
821 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706
Deadlines for Submitting Letter
- Summer 2020: 12:00 pm on Wednesday, June 17th.
- Fall 2020: Tuesday, September 8th.
Mary will authorize you to register for the course.
Course Syllabus and Assignments
The syllabus and weekly assignments are posted on the Canvas course page.
CA 614 and CA 615 are one credit each. Students completing a second internship will register for CA 615. Contact one of the Comm Arts academic advisors if you have been asked to provide a letter verifying that you are eligible to earn credit for the internship. Towards the end of your internship, the department will send an evaluation form to the sponsoring institution.