Position:Head Film Archivist, Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research
The University of Wisconsin-Madison seeks an experienced moving imagearchivist to oversee the film and video collections of the Wisconsin Centerfor Film and Theater Research (WCFTR) and, in affiliation with the UW’sSchool of Library and Information Studies (SLIS), to teach one courseannually in archival theory and practice. The WCFTR is administered byThe UW Department of Communication Arts. In cooperation with the WisconsinHistorical Society (WHS), the Center sustains one of the nation’s richestarchives in the performing arts, housed at the WHS Building.http://www.wcftr.commarts.wisc.edu/
SLIS is one of the nation’s top-ranked programs in library and information studies, and it offers archives specialization as an MA degree option http://www.slis.wisc.edu/
- Acquisition, maintenance, and preservation of moving image collections
- Facilitate research access to WCFTR- and WHS-owned film and video
- In coordination with WHS, oversee cataloguing and indexing of moving image
- Supervise student workers and rotating staff in handling WCFTR-related
- reference requests
- Participate in outreach efforts drawing from archival collections
- Conduct training sessions in archival research and management for campus
- Assist in daily management of WCFTR office
- Teach one foundational course annually in archival theory and practice in SLIS’s archives specialization. Engage in appropriate levels of student advising and curricular administration within SLIS.
For a complete description, please see:
Requirements: MA or MLS (or equivalent) in moving image archiving; or MLS(or equivalent) in library and information studies (with archival emphasis)and coursework in film/media studies; or MA (or equivalent) in film/massmedia studies with substantial archival training and experience.
Preferred qualifications: 2 to 5 years of archival experience with emphasisin moving image archiving preferred. Expertise in moving image archivingessential; expertise in manuscript and digital archiving also desirable.Evidence of teaching ability essential; teaching experience desirable.
Application: Submit curriculum vitae, contact information for threeprofessional references, and cover letter highlighting appropriate trainingand experience, including where applicable information relevant to teachingability.
Send material to the attention of
Mary Huelsbeck, WCFTR Assistant Director, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or via USPS to
6039 Vilas Hall, University of Wisconsin, Madison WI 53706.
To assure consideration, all materials must be received by October 25, 2013.
The UW Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Unlessconfidentiality is requested in writing, information regarding the names ofapplicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteedconfidentiality. A criminal background check will be conductedprior to hiring.