Lyn Van Swol
- Communication Science
- 6152 Vilas Hall
- Monday 2:20pm – 4:00pm
- Wednesday 10:00 –11:00am
- And by appointment
I research information sharing in groups, utilization of advice, and deception in negotiations. All my research shares the theme of examining what factors are likely to increase acceptance of information during an interaction. My research on information sharing in group examines how people share information with each other in order to persuade and come to consensus in groups. I'm especially interested in the role of information members all know and share in common before having a group discussion. Talking about shared information helps create a common ground among group members. The problem is that by only talking about information that they share in common, groups fail to learn from each other and use the unique contributions of individual members. However, there are advantages to discussing shared information. My research has found that people respond positively to a group member who mentions information that others already know, and that people who hold a minority viewpoint in a group are more persuasive in the group when they frame their arguments with information already known by members of the majority opinion. I am also collaborating with several researchers to examine what factors can increase the utilization of advice. For example, some of my research examines utilization of advice in medical decision-making, and other current research examines how people respond to advice when they have asked for it versus when it is uninvited. Finally, I am completing a series of studies examining deception in monetary negotiations.
- Ph.D. Social Psychology with minor in Quantitative Psychology, University of Illinois, 1999
- M.A. Social Psychology, University of Illinois, 1995
- B.A. Psychology, summa cum laude, Loyola University, 1993
- Top four paper award in group communication , NCA , 2017
- Top three paper in group communication , NCA , 2013
- Dennis Gouran Research Award , NCA , 2007
- Top three paper in group communication , NCA , 2006
- Top three paper in group communication , NCA , 2005
- 2017. "Language Use and Influence Among Minority, Majority, and Homogeneous Group Members." Communication Research , 44, 512 - 529 , http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0093650215570658?patientinform-links... .
- 2017. "Silent minority: Argument, information sharing, and polarization of minority opinion through a Structuration theory lens." Journal of Applied Communication Research , 45, 381-396 , http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00909882.2017.1355557 .
- 2017. "Advise with permission? The effects of advice utilization on advice outcomes." Communication Studies , 68, 476-492 , http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10510974.2017.1363795 .
- 2017. "Towards an understanding of algorithm aversion: Why do decision-makers discount advice from automation?." Journal of Forecasting , 36, 691-702 , http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/for.2464/abstract .
- 2017. "The effects of shared opinions on nonverbal mimicry." Sage Open , 7, 1-11 , http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2158244017707243 .
- 2017. "After studying written materials in preparation for an operating room management course, trust in the content does not change progressively during the live course." Journal of Clinical Anesthesia , 42, 57-62 , https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28822884 .
- 2016. "The Language of Extremity: The language of extreme members and how the presence of extremity affects group discussion." Journal of Language and Social Psychology , 35, 603 - 627 , http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0261927X16629788 .
- 2016. "Justifications offered, questions asked, and linguistic patterns in deceptive and truthful monetary interactions." Group Decision and Negotiation , 25, 641-661 , http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10726-015-9455-5 .
- 2016. "Influence of Data and Formulas on Trust in Information from Journal Articles in an Operating Room Management Course.." Anesthesia and Analgesia Case Reports , 6, 329-334 , https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27166745 .
- 2015. "Justifications offered, questions asked, and linguistic patterns in deceptive and truthful monetary interactions." Group Decision and Negotiation , online first , http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10726-015-9455-5?wt_mc=internal.event.... .
- 2015. "E-mail as the appropriate method of communication for the decision-maker when soliciting advice for an intellective task.." Anesthesia and Analgesia , 121, 669 - 677. , http://www.researchgate.net/publication/281172775_E-mail_as_the_Appropriate_Meth... .
- 2015. "His lips are moving: Linguistic indicators of political deceptions." Discourse Processes , 52, 1 - 20 , http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/0163853X.2014.942833 .
- 2015. "Deception, detection, demeanor, and truth bias in face-to-face and computer mediated communication." Communication Research , 42, 1116-1142 , http://crx.sagepub.com/content/42/8/1116.abstract?etoc .
- 2014. "Channel choice, justification of deception, and detection." Journal of Communication , 64, 1139 - 1159 , http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcom.12125/abstract .
- 2014. "Communicating deception: Differences in language use, justification, and questions for lies, omissions, and truths." Group Decision and Negotiation , 6, 1343-1367 , http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10726-013-9373-3 .
- 2014. "Questioning the assumptions of deception research." Journal of Language and Social Psychology , 33, 411-416 , http://jls.sagepub.com/content/33/4/411.abstract?patientinform-links=yes&legid=s... .
- 2014. "Investigating variation in replicability: A “many labs” replication project.." Social Psychology , 45, 142 - 152 , http://www.psycontent.com/content/n657m04571w51j70/ .
- 2013. "Review of experimental studies in social psychology of small groups related to operating room and anesthesia department decisions with best answers." Anesthesia and Analgesia , 117, 1221-1229 , http://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-analgesia/Abstract/2013/11000/Review_of_Exper... .
- 2012. "Deception and its detection: Effects of monetary incentives and personal relationship history." Communication Research , 39, 217-238 , http://crx.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/01/10/0093650210396868.abstract .
- 2012. "Evidence for the Pinocchio effect." Discourse Processes , 49, 79-106 , http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/0163853X.2011.633331 .
- 2013. "Combining information and judgments.." Judgment and Decision Making at Work. , R. Dalal, & S. Highhouse SIOP book series: Routledge , Chapter 10 .
- 2007. "Social cognition in groups and negotiation." Communication and Social Cognition , David Roskos-Ewoldsen and Jennifer Monahan .
- CA 575 - Communication in Complex Organizations
- CA 368 - Theory and Practice of Persuasion
- CA760 - Theory in Communication Science