- Department Chair
- 6110 Vilas Hall
- Thursday 12:30-2:30 PM
I am interested in French film of all eras, filmmakers’ creative processes and their concrete working conditions, the relationships between film and other arts, and the theoretical and practical issues relating to national and transnational cinema. My first book, Chanteuse in the City (University of California, 2004), examines the intersections between popular song and 1930s French cinema through the figure of the realist singer. My second book, Agnès Varda (University of Illinois Press, 2015), explores Varda's key films and installations, focusing on her aesthetic commitments, working methods, and shifting modes of production. I have published articles on popular music in classical and contemporary French cinema, installation art created by filmmakers, and the links between genre and gender in contemporary French film. Among the courses I teach are French Film, European Art Cinema, and Women and Film. I also teach a month-long study abroad seminar in Paris sponsored by the UW-Madison International Academic Programs.
- 2016. "Demy et au-delà: Expérimentation esthétique dans les films musicaux français récents." La Chanson dans le film français et francophone depuis la Nouvelle Vague .
- 2015. "Sexually Explicit French Cinema: Genre, Gender and Sex." The Blackwell Companion to Contemporary French Cinema , 461-480 .
- 2014. "Responding to Globalization: The Evolution of Agnès Varda." Substance , 43: 109-122 .
- 2013. "Popular Song in the Films of Jean Renoir." The Blackwell Companion to Jean Renoir , 199-218 .
- 2012. "Brigitte Bardot: From International Star to Fashion Icon." New Constellations: Movie Stars of the 1960s , 183-201 .
- CA 350 - Introduction to Film
- CA 353 - Film History Since 1960
- CA 455 - French Film
- CA 613 - European New Waves
- CA 613 - Women and Film
- CA 956 - The French New Wave
- CA 956 - Globalization and National Cinema