- Associate Vice Chancellor for Arts & Humanities
- Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education
- 6150 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
Research areas include the history of the American studio system, performance, silent cinema, and film stylistics. I regularly teach courses on the studio system, methods of analysis, and animation. Current research projects include the transition to sound, the director Ernst Lubitsch, and the Eisenstein/Prokofiev collaborations. Film Rhythm After Sound: Technology, Music and Performance was published by the University of California Press in 2015. For the open access online edition of Theatre to Cinema, written with Ben Brewster, click here: https://uwdc.library.wisc.edu/collections/arts/thetr2cnma/.
- Ph.D. Film, University of California, Los Angeles, 1985
- Guggenheim Fellowship , John Simon Guggenheim Foundation , 2002
- ACLS Fellowship , American Council of Learned Societies , 2010
- Resident Fellowship , Institute for Research in the Humanities, University of Wisconsin - Madison , 1994
- Rockefeller Post-Doctoral Fellowship in the Humanities , Rockefeller Foundation , 1987
- Kellett Mid-Career Award , The Graduate School, University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2009
- 2009. "Naturalism and the Diva: Francesca Bertini in Assunta Spina." , http://uwfilmies.pbwiki.com/Bertini .
- 2010. "The Talmadge Sisters: A Forgotten Filmmaking Dynasty." in Idols of Modernity: Movie Stars of the 1920s .
- 2012. "A Lesson with Eisenstein: Rhythm and Pacing in Ivan the Terrible Part I." Music and the Moving Image , Vol. 5, no. 1: 24-46 .
- 2012. "The Innovation of Re-recording in the Hollywood Studios." Film History , Vol 24, no. 1: 5-34 .
- 2012. "John Stahl: Melodrama, modernism and the problem of naive taste." Modernism/modernity , Vol. 19, no. 2: 303-320 .
- 1991. The Wages of Sin: Censorship and the Fallen Woman Film. University of Wisconsin Press, rpt. University of California .
- 1997. Theatre to Cinema: Stage Pictorialism and the Early Feature Film. Oxford: Oxford University Press .
- 2008. The Decline of Sentiment: American Film in the 1920s. Berkeley: University of California Press .
- 2015. Film Rhythm After Sound: Technology, Music and Performance. Berkeley: University of California .
- CA 357 - History of Animation
- CA 454 - Advanced Film Analysis
- CA 556 - History of the American Film Industry in the Era of the Studio System
- CA 613 - John Ford and the Classical Hollywood Cinema
- CA 950 - The Rise of the Feature Film