Student Health and Wellness

Securing Health Insurance Coverage

Graduate Students who hold an appointment as an assistant of 33.33% or more or who have a fellowship may be eligible for health insurance and other benefits beyond University Health Services. Students should contact the Department Administrator to select one of several health care plans within 30 days of one’s hire date.

University Health Services

Students who pay segregated fees are eligible for University Health Services. Because services are paid through tuition and fees, there is no charge to students for many basic services, including counseling sessions and outpatient care. Personal health and wellness services are also available in addition to medical services. UHS is located in the Student Services Tower at 333 East Campus Mall, 608-265-5000. For more info, visit the UHS web site at

Prescription medications, emergency room visits, and hospitalization are not included in UHS benefits. Therefore, supplemental insurance covering these drugs and services is recommended for all students and is required for international students. The UHS Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is an excellent option for many students. Contact the SHIP office at 608-265-5600 for more information.

Disability Information

Students with disabilities have access to disability resources through UW-Madison’s McBurney Disability Resource Center. Admitted students should first go through the steps to “Become a McBurney Client.” See:

For additional [non-academic] disability campus resources, see:

For the UW-Madison Index for Campus Accessibility Resources, see:

Mental Health Resources

University Health Services is the primary mental health provider for students on campus. UHS Counseling and Consultation Services offers a wide range of services, including immediate crisis counseling, same day appointments, and ongoing treatment. For UHS appointments or referrals to off-campus providers, students may call 608-265-5600 or see: