On the evening of December 7, the top 24 persuasive speakers enrolled in the fall semester of Communication Arts 100 competed in the CA 100 Speech Contest.
The speech contest is a long-standing tradition at the end of each semester. Teaching assistants from all sections of the course submitted the speeches of their top two students; from this group, a semifinal field of 24 speakers was chosen. They competed against each other in groups of eight, with the top two from each group advancing to the final round, which was judged by CA100 course directors Dr. Sara McKinnon and Dr. Sarah Jedd.
Contest finalists, their TAs, and speech topics were:
- 1st Place: Noah Davis (Phil Cerepak) End Standardized Testing for College Admissions
- 2nd Place: Calvin Prajogo (Allyson Gross) Delete TikTok
- 3rd Place: Carly Hersch (Kelly Edwards) Fashion Victims: Stop Ear Cropping
- Finalist: Tatum Granbow (Rachel Banda) Fix the Student Loan Crisis
- Finalist: Hannah Pisarski (Caitlin Benedetto) Ban Factory Farming
- Finalist: Mir Ramisa Raiyan Rose (Manuel Cerda) Institute a 3-Day Weekend at UW-Madison