- Evjue-Bascom Professor in the Humanities
- Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture
- 6037 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
My major areas of scholarship are rhetorical criticism, social movements, and the history of American political discourse. In recent years, my thinking and writing have become increasingly intercultural as I have worked with Chinese universities in the development of English public speaking and rhetorical studies more generally.
- Ph.D. Pennsylvania State University, 1973
- M.A. Pennsylvania State University, 1971
- B.A. University of California, Santa Barbara, 1968
- Hilldale Award for the Arts and Humanities , University of Wisconsin , 2010
- Distinguished Scholar Award , National Communication Association , 2009
- Textbook Excellence Award for The Art of Public Speaking , Text and Academic Authors Association , 2004
- Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education , National Communication Association , 2001
- Golden Anniversary Monograph Award for The Rhetorical Ancestry of the Declaration of Independence , National Communication Association , 1999
- Excellence in Teaching Award , Wisconsin Student Association , 1992
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching , University of Wisconsin , 1988
- Golden Anniversary Book Award for Portents of Rebellion: Rhetoric and Revolution in Philadelphia, 1765-1776 , National Communication Association , 1977
- Nomination for Portents of Rebellion: Rhetoric and Revolution in Philadelphia, 1765-1776 , The Pulitzer Prizes , 1976
- Gerald R. Miller Oustanding Dissertation Award , National Communication Association , 1973
- 2008. "On Trial: Conflicting Versions of Emma Goldman's Address to the Jury." Rhetoric and Public Affairs , 11: 47-86 [with Kathryn Palmer] .
- 2007. "The Legacy of Edwin Black." Rhetoric and Public Affairs , 10: 509-519 .
- 2002. "Speechmaking, Pedagogy, and Civic Responsibility." American Communication Journal , 5 (Winter 2002) , http://acjournal.org/holdings/vol5/iss2/special/lucas.htm .
- 1998. "The Rhetorical Ancestry of the Declaration of Independence." Rhetoric and Public Affairs , 1: 143-184 .
- 1990. "The Stylistic Artistry of the Declaration of Independence." Prologue: Quarterly of the National Archives , 22: 25-43 .
- 1988. "The Renaissance of American Public Address: Text and Context in Rhetorical Criticism." Quarterly Journal of Speech , 74: 241-260 .
- 1986. "Genre Criticism and Historical Context: The Case of George Washington's First Inaugural Address." Southern Speech Communication Journal , 51: 345-370 .
- 1981. "The Schism in Rhetorical Scholarship." Quarterly Journal of Speech , 67: 1-20 .
- 1980. "Coming to Terms with Movement Studies." Central States Communication Journal , 31: 255-266. .
- 1973. "Theodore Roosevelt's 'The Man with the Muck-Rake': A Reinterpretation." Quarterly Journal of Speech , 59: 452-462 .
- 2012. The Art of Public Speaking, 11th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill .
- 2010. The Art of Public Speaking, 10th Edition, Specially Adapted for Chinese Readers. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press .
- 2009. Words of a Century: The Top 100 American Speeches, 1900-1999. New York: Oxford University Press [with Martin J. Medhurst] .
- 1999. The Quotable George Washington: The Wisdom of an American Patriot. Madison: Madison House .
- 1976. Portents of Rebellion: Rhetoric and Revolution in Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Temple University Press .
- 2011. "The Act of Abjuration as a Model for the Declaration of Independence: Thomas Jefferson and the Art of Imitation." The Act of Abjuration: Inspired and Inspiring , Paul Brood and Raymond M. Kubben The Hague: Wolf Legal Publishers , 173-189 .
- 2009. "The Role of Public Speaking in China's English Language Curriculum." English Public Speaking in Global Context: Challenges and Innovations , Wang Lifei and Li Ping Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press , 3-24 .
- 2008. "Present at the Founding: The Rhetorical Presidency in Historical Perspective." Before the Rhetorical Presidency , Martin J. Medhurst College Station: Texas A&M University Press , 35-41 .
- 2005. "Speak for Success." Speak for Success , Huang Ching Shanghai: Shanghai Foreign Education Press , 4-47, 48-78 .
- 2002. "The Declaration of Independence in the Rhetoric of American Politics." The Changing American Conversation: Lectures from the Smithsonian , William Eadie and Paul Nelson Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Press , 39-59 .
- 2002. "George Washington and the Rhetoric of Presidential Leadership." The Presidency and Rhetorical Leadership , Leroy Dorsey College Station: Texas A&M University Press , 42-72 .
- 2001. "Public Speaking." Encyclopedia of Rhetoric , Thomas O. Sloane New York: Oxford University Press , 640-647 .
- 1998. "Teaching Public Speaking." Teaching Communication: Theory, Research and Methods, 2nd ed , Anita Vangelisti, John A. Daly, and Gustav Friedrich Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum , 75-84 .
- 1997. "Booker T. Washington." African-American Orators , Richard W. Leeman Westport, CT: Greenwood Press , 341-357 .
- 1995. "Debate and Oratory." Encyclopedia of the United States Congress , Donald C. Bacon, Roger H. Davidson, and Morton Keller New York: Simon and Schuster , 608-613 .
- 1994. "The Plakkaat van Verlatinge: A Neglected Model for the American Declaration of Independence." Connecting Cultures: The Netherlands in Five Centuries of Transatlantic Exchange , Rosemarijn Hofte and Johanna C. Kardux Amsterdam: VU Press , 189-207 .
- 1989. "Justifying America: The Declaration of Independence as a Rhetorical Document." American Rhetoric: Context and Criticism , Thomas W. Benson Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press , 67-130 .