- Associate Professor
- Media and Cultural Studies
- 6052 Vilas Hall
- Thursday 11:00-12:00 PM & 2:30-3:45 PM
My teaching and research concentrate on digital media production, the Digital Humanities, and the past, present, and future of the media industries.. I've published articles on the public domain, idea submission lawsuits, and the impact of tax law on Hollywood. My book, Hollywood Vault: Film Libraries before Home Video, explores the content libraries owned by the Hollywood studios and how the value of old movies changed over time. Most recently, I've been working as as a software developer and the US PI on Project Arclight: Analytics for the Study of 20th Century Media, which received a Digging into Data grant from the IMLS, SSHRC, and NEH Office of Digital Humanities. I am the co-director of the Media History Digital Library, which has digitized over 1.4 million pages of out-of-copyright film and broadcasting periodicals for broad public access. I also designed and produced the MHDL's search and visualization platform, Lantern. You can read more about my research and teaching on my website, http://erichoyt.org.
- Ph.D. Division of Critical Studies, School of Cinematic Arts, University of Southern California, 2012
- M.F.A. Peter Stark Producing Program, School of Cinematic Arts, University of Southern California, 2008
- B.S. Radio-TV-Film, School of Communication, Northwestern University, 2005
- Digging into Data Grant ($200,000). Awarded for Project Arclight. , IMLS, SSHRC, and NEH Office of Digital Humanities , 2014
- Anne Friedberg Innovative Scholarship Award. Awarded for Lantern , Society for Cinema and Media Studies , 2014
- Best Electronic Reference Site. Awarded for Lantern , Popular Culture Association and American Culture Association , 2014
- Best Website for Teaching & Learning. Awarded for Media History Digital Library , American Association of School Librarians , 2014
- Michael Nelson Prize for a Work in Media and History. Awarded for Media History Digital Library. , International Association for Media and History , 2013
- Best Electronic Reference Site. Awarded for Media History Digital Library , Popular Culture Association and American Culture Association , 2012
- Student Writing Award , Society for Cinema and Media Studies , 2009
- 2015. "Distribution’s Return Trip: Two Hollywood Studios, Money, and Japan, 1921—1941." Velvet Light Trap , 75 (Spring 2015): 5—20 , http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/the_velvet_light_trap/v075/75.hoyt.html .
- 2014. "Lenses for Lantern: Data Mining, Visualization, and Excavating Film History’s Neglected Sources." Film History , 26, no. 2 (Summer 2014): 146—168 , http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/filmhistory.26.2.146 .
- 2014. "The Thieves of Bombay: Douglas Fairbanks, Colonial Copyright, and Film Piracy in India, 1927-1935 (Co-authored with Nitin Govil)." Bioscope: South Asian Screen Studies , 5, no. 1 (2014): 5—27 , http://bio.sagepub.com/content/5/1/5.full.pdf .
- 2014. "Visualizing and Analyzing the Hollywood Screenplay with ScripThreads (Co-authored with Kevin Ponto and Carrie Roy)." Digital Humanities Quarterly , 8, no. 4 , http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/8/4/000190/000190.html .
- 2014. "Scaled Entity Search: A Method for Media Historiography and Response to Critiques of Big Humanities Data Research (Co-authored with Kit Hughes, Derek Long, Kevin Ponto, and Anthony Tran)." Proceedings of IEEE Big Humanities Data , https://bighumanities.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/hoyt.pdf .
- 2013. "Bootstrapping a Digital Archive? 5 Things to Consider." The Spectator , 33, no. 2, 31-37 .
- 2013. "Media + History + Digital + Library: An Experiment in Synthesis (Co-authored with Carl Hagenmaier and Wendy Hagenmaier)." Journal of E-Media Studies , 3, no. 1 , https://commarts.wisc.edu/10.1349/PS1.1938-6060.A.430 .
- 2011. "Writer in the Hole: Desny v. Wilder, Copyright Law, and the Battle Over Ideas." Cinema Journal , 50, no. 2, 21-40 .
- 2011. "Engaging the Public Domain." International Journal of Learning and Media , 3, no. 1, 47-55 .
- 2010. "The Future of Selling the Past: Studio Libraries in the 21st Century." Jump Cut , 50 , http://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc52.2010/hoytStudioLibraries/ .
- 2010. "Hollywood and the Income Tax, 1929—1955." Film History , 22, no. 1, 5-20 .
- 2014. Hollywood Vault: Film Libraries before Home Video. Berkeley: University of California Press .
- CA 155 - Introduction to Digital Media Production
- CA 557 - Contemporary Media Industries
- CA 609 - Digital Media Production for Graduate Students