Catalina L. Toma
- Associate Professor
- Communication Science
- 6144 Vilas Hall
- Thursdays, 2 - 4 pm
- Fridays, 1 - 3 pm
My research examines how people understand and relate to one another when interacting via communication technologies (online dating, social network sites, blogs, etc.). I focus on the impact of communication technologies on relational processes such as: Impression management and impression formation Deception and trust Self-worth, self-esteem and emotional well-being Interpersonal attraction and relationship development I am also interested in how language is produced and interpreted in computer-mediated contexts, especially as it relates to self-presenters' deceptiveness and perceived trustworthiness. Recent projects have investigated self-presentation and deception in online dating profiles, the effects of social network sites on emotional well-being, and the biases that color people's beliefs about the prevalence of deception in mediated communication.
- Ph.D. Cornell University, 2010
- M.S. Cornell University, 2006
- Top Paper , National Communication Association, Health Communication Division , 2014
- Honored Instructor , Chadbourne Residential College , 2013
- Honored Instructor , Chadbourne Residential College , 2012
- Honored Instructor , Chadbourne Residential College , 2011
- Top Faculty Paper , International Communication Association, Communication & Technology Division , 2009
- Honorable Mention , Computer-Supported Collaborative Work (CSCW) , 2008
- Anson Rowe Award , Field of Communication, Cornell University , 2008
- Top Paper , International Conference on Communities and Technologies , 2007
- Top Student Paper , International Communication Association, Communication & Technology Division , 2007
- Honorable Mention , Computer-Human Interaction (CHI) , 2007
- 2019. "Lying online : Examining the production, detection, and popular beliefs surrounding interpersonal deception in technologically-mediated environments." Palgrave Handbook of Deceptive Communication , forthcoming .
- 2018. "Depression as a predictor of Facebook surveillance and envy: Evidence from a cross-lagged panel study in Germany." Journal of Media Psychology , forthcoming .
- 2018. "Connection, conflict, and communication technologies : How romantic couples use the media for relationship management." A Networked Self : Love , 78 - 101 .
- 2018. "What do you say before you relapse? How language use within a peer-to-peer online discussion forum predicts risky drinking among those in recovery." Health Communication , 22, 1184-1193 .
- 2018. "How does social media use relate to adolescents' internalizing symptoms?: Conclusions from a systematic narrative review." Adolescent Research Review , forthcoming .
- 2017. "Breakup-related sharing over interpersonal media: Patterns and effects on psychological well-being." Journal of Media Psychology , 29, 166-172 .
- 2016. "There are plenty of fish in the sea: Effects of choice overload and reversibility on online daters' satisfaction with selected partners." Media Psychology , forthcoming .
- 2016. "Mobile media matters: Hyperpersonal idealization and relationship satisfaction among geographically close dating couples.." Proceedings of Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) , forthcoming .
- 2016. "Lies in the eye of the beholder: The intensifying effect of media on self-other asymmetries regarding deception." Communication Research , forthcoming .
- 2015. "The couple who Facebooks together, stays together: Facebook self-presentation and relational longevity among college-aged dating couples." Cyberpsychology, Behavior, & Social Networking , 18, 367 - 372 , http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/cyber.2015.0060 .
- 2015. "When social media isn’t social: Friends’ responsiveness to narcissists on Facebook." Personality and Individual Differences , 77, 209 - 214 , http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886914007843 .
- 2015. "How do Facebook users think they come across in their profiles?: A meta-perception approach to Facebook self-presentation." Communication Research Reports , 32, 93-101 , http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08824096.2014.990557#.VLag6P50yXg .
- 2015. "Tell-tale words: Linguistic cues used to infer the expertise of online medical advice." Journal of Language and Social Psychology , 34, 25-45 , http://jls.sagepub.com/content/34/1/25 .
- 2014. "Social sharing through interpersonal media: Patterns and effects on emotional well-being." Computers in Human Behavior , 36, 530-541 .
- 2014. "Towards conceptual convergence: An examination of interpersonal adaptation." Communication Quarterly , 62, 155-178 .
- 2014. "Counting on friends: Cues to perceived trustworthiness in Facebook profiles." Proceedings of the International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM) , 495-504 , http://www.aaai.org/ocs/index.php/ICWSM/ICWSM14/paper/viewPDFInterstitial/8044/8... .
- 2013. "Feeling better but doing worse: Effects of Facebook self-presentation on implicit self-esteem and cognitive task performance." Media Psychology , 16, 199-220 .
- 2013. "Self-affirmation underlies Facebook use." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin , 39, 321 - 331 .
- 2012. "What lies beneath: The linguistic traces of deception in online dating profiles." Journal of Communication , 62, 78-97 .
- 2012. "Profile as promise: A framework for conceptualizing the veracity of self-presentation in online dating profiles." New Media & Society , 14, 45-62 .
- 2010. "Looks and lies: The role of physical attractiveness in online dating self-presentation." Communication Research , 37, 335-351 .
- 2010. "Perceptions of trustworthiness online: The role of visual and verbal information." In proceedings of Computer-Supported Collaborative Work (CSCW) , 13-22 .
- 2009. "Putting your best face forward: The accuracy of online dating profile photographs." Journal of Communication , 59, 367-386 .
- 2008. "Separating fact from fiction: Deceptive self-presentation in online dating profiles." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin , 34, 1023-1036 .
- 2008. "I know something you don't: The use of asymmetric personal information for interpersonal advantage." In proceedings of Computer-Supported Collaborative Work , 413-416 .
- 2016. "Online dating." The International Encyclopedia or Interpersonal Communication , Charles Berger & Michael Roloff John Wiley & Sons .
- 2014. "Political Phishing." Encyclopedia of Social Media and Politics , K. Harvey Sage Publications .
- 2011. "A new twist on love's labor: Self-presentation in online dating profiles." Computer-mediated communication in personal relationships , Kevin B. Wright and Lynne M. Webb New York: Peter Lang Publishing , 41-55 .
- 2010. "Lying for love in the modern age: Deception in online dating." Interplay of Truth and Deception: New Agendas in Communication , M. S. McGlone & M. L. Knapp New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group , 149-164 .
- CA 272 - Interpersonal Communication
- CA 345 - Online communication and Personal Relationships
- CA 577 - Dynamics of Online Relationships
- CA 970 - Seminar in Computer-Mediated Communication
- ED PSYCH 711 -- Social Media & Psychological Well-being