Sending Completed Application Materials
Application Deadline: December 15th
Our graduate programs consider students for fall semester admission only.
Please submit your online application and fee (credit card or debit card), including the "Record of Residence" portion of the Graduate School Application for Admission.
Within the department, students may apply to only one track of study which must be indicated on the statement of purpose:
There are five supporting documents which complete the application:
- Statement of Purpose in which you tell us your research interest
- May be uploaded with the application
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from academic sources
- Email addresses of recommenders is submitted within online application
- Official GRE results sent to us from ETS
- For international students a valid TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB score is also required. UW-Madison is institution #1846, no department code is necessary
- One copy of official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended after high school
- Transcripts can be mailed to the Communication Arts Department (use address below) or uploaded to the application
- A writing sample, 15-20 pages long
- Uploaded within the Communication Arts supplemental application within the online application
A curriculum vita is welcome but not required; it can be uploaded within the online application.
Your application is not complete until your application fee is paid and Communication Arts has received all the required documents listed above. Applications that are complete by December 15th and are included in the initial review will be automatically considered for a teaching assistantship. There is no separate application for a teaching assistantship.
If you have questions or would like more information on the University of Wisconsin - Madison Department of Communication Arts Graduate Program, please contact:
Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Communication Arts
6114 Vilas Hall
821 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706