Media and Cultural Studies
Expertise and Activities
Yizhou (Joe) Xu is a PhD Student in Media & Cultural Studies at the University of Wisconsin–Madison’s Department of Communication Arts. His research interest deals with the software development industry in China, particularly dealing with the roles of state policy, digital labor, and platforms. Prior to the University of Wisconsin–Madison, Joe was a documentarian and broadcast journalist based in Beijing working for new agencies including CBS News, NPR, and Swiss TV.
- M.A. Media & Cultural Studies, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2017
- B.A. History, Bucknell University, 2010
- 2018. “Programmatic Dreams: Technographic Inquiry into Censorship of Chinese Chatbots.” Social Media + Society, https://doi.org/10.1177/2056305118808780.
- 2016. “The postmodern aesthetic of Chinese online comment cultures.” Communication and the Public, 1 (4), 436-451, http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2057047316677839.
- 2011. China’s Internet Censored, But Not Silent. CBS News: World Watch.
- 2010. China’s ‘Little Emperors’ Lucky, Yet Lonely In Life. Photo/research. NPR.
- CA 100: Introduction to Speech Composition
- CA 346: Critical Internet Studies
- CA 351: Television Industries