2154 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
Expertise and Activities
My research interests are Digital Technologies, New Media, Social Equality and Democracy, Art and Independent Cinema, Comedy, Aesthetics of Cinema, and Cognitive Studies in Film. I have been on the editorial board of the peer-reviewed journal Velvet Light Trap since 2014.
I’m a filmmaker as well, and I have made several short films. I have expertise in directing, cinematography, screenwriting, sound recording and mixing, and editing.
My passion in public humanities has led me to give public lectures to different communities. Upon receiving Mellon Public Humanities Fellowship, I worked as an Educational Development Fellow at the Arts+Literature Lab in 2018-19. I taught filmmaking with cellphones to underrepresented communities at the Madison Public Library in 2019 in three different workshops with the support of Humanities Exchange (HEX) Award.
- M.A. Film Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2015
- M.A. Cinema, University of Tehran, 2013
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Tehran, 2010
- Semi-Finalist, Eurasia International Film Festival, as Writer, Director, and Producer of Immortal (2018), 2020
- Community-Based Research Grant Award, Morgridge Center, UW-Madison, 2020
- Finalist, Frostbite International Indie Film Festival, as Writer, Director, and Producer of Immortal (2018), 2020
- Kepley Dissertation Grant, UW-Madison, 2020
- Finalist, Lift-Off Global Network Sessions Film Festival, as Writer, Director, and Producer of Immortal (2018), 2019
- Mellon Public Humanities Fellowship at the Arts + Literature Lab, Mellon Foundation, 2019
- Public Humanities Exchange (HEX) Award, UW Center for the Humanities, 2019
- Graduate School Fellowship, UW-Madison, 2019
- Public Humanities Exchange (HEX) Award, UW Center for the Humanities, 2018
- Graduate School Fellowship, UW-Madison, 2018
- Helen K. Herman Memorial Fund Scholarship, UW-Madison, 2017
- Robert J. Wickhem Award for Excellence in Media Production, UW-Madison, 2016
- Mellon Foundation Area and International Studies Research Fellowship, UW-Madison, 2013
- Ranked 2nd in Iran’s National University Entrance Exam for M.A. in Cinema among more than 2000 participants,2010
- Silver Medal, National Physics Olympiad, 2009
- 2020. “Tales From Disaster Capitalism: The Capitalist Transformation of Education by Exploiting the Pandemic Crisis.” SCMS+. (access the article here.)
- 2013. “The Aesthetics of Long Take in Michael Haneke’s Cinema.” Avanca | Cinema, 808 – 815. (access the abstract here.)
- 2020. “Vulgar Co-Creation as a Radical Mode of Film and Media Production in Digital Age,” Global Fusion Conference (Virtual), Organized by Southern Illinois Universities Carbondale (SIUC) & Edwardsville (SIUE).
- 2020. “The Fall of Dissidence: The Decline of Iranian Underground Cinema and Its Implications for the Digital Democratization of Media,” Communication Crossroads Conference, University of Wisconsin- Madison.
- 2019. “Visible Pirates: The Proliferation of Independent Film Communities With Digital Piracy,” Film and History Conference, Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2019. “Digitization of Film Exhibition: The Transition Phase in Middle-Income Nations And the Harms of Forced Technology Adoption,” Global Fusion Conference, University of Texas at Austin.
- 2019. “The Other Side of Digital: Detrimental Effects of Digital Technologies on Global Democracy with A Focus on Iranian Cinema,” Media in Transition Conference, MIT University.
- 2019. “By the Public, For the Public: Exhibition in the Digital Age with a Focus on the Ammar Movement in Iran,” SCMS Annual Conference – Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Seattle, Washington.
- 2018. “How to ‘Really’ Be Digital: Performance in Digital Cinema With a Focus on Iranian Alternative Cinema,” Film and History Conference, Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2018. “Musical Inspiration: The influence of Iranian Underground Music on Iranian Underground Cinema,” Music and the Moving Image (MaMI) Conference, New York, New York.
- 2017. “Cross-dressing Iranian Style: An Exploration of Cross-dressing in Iranian Comedy Films from 1995 to the Present,” SCMS Annual Conference – Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Chicago, Illinois.
- 2016. “Contemporary Iranian Cinema,” Community Lecture Series, University of Wisconsin-Washington County.
- 2016. “Color Makes a Difference: The Emotional and Narrative Influence of the Patterns of Color in No Country for Old Men,” SCSMI (Society for Cognitive Studies of the Moving Image) Conference, Ithaca, New York.
- 2015. “Shoot and Run: Modes of Production in Recent Iranian Underground Cinema,” SCMS Annual Conference – Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Montréal, Québec.
- CA 355 – Introduction to Media Production
- CA 350 – Introduction to Film
- CA 100 – Introduction to Speech Composition