2154 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
Expertise and Activities
My research interests are Digital Technologies, New Media, Social Equality and Democracy, Art and Independent Cinema, Comedy, Aesthetics of Cinema, and Cognitive Studies in Film. I have been on the editorial board of the peer-reviewed journal Velvet Light Trap since 2014.
I’m a filmmaker as well, and I have made several short films. I have expertise in directing, cinematography, screenwriting, sound recording and mixing, and editing.
My passion in public humanities has led me to give public lectures to different communities. I’ve been teaching filmmaking with cellphones at the Madison Public Library since 2018. Additionally, I’m the director and programmer of the Wisconsin Iranian Film Festival, which had its second year in February 2018.
- M.A. Film Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2015
- M.A. Cinema, University of Tehran, 2013
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Tehran, 2010
- Public Humanities Fellowship at the Arts + Literature Lab, Mellon Foundation, 2019
- Public Humanities Exchange (HEX) Award, UW Center for the Humanities, 2019
- Graduate School Fellowship, UW-Madison, 2019
- Public Humanities Exchange (HEX) Award, UW Center for the Humanities, 2018
- Graduate School Fellowship, UW-Madison, 2018
- Helen K. Herman Memorial Fund Scholarship, UW-Madison, 2017
- Robert J. Wickhem Award for Excellence in Media Production, UW-Madison, 2016
- Mellon Foundation Area and International Studies Research Fellowship, UW-Madison, 2013
- Ranked 2nd in Iran’s National University Entrance Exam for M.A. in Cinema among more than 2000 participants,2010
- Silver Medal, National Physics Olympiad, 2009
- 2013. “The Aesthetics of Long Take in Michael Haneke’s Cinema.” Avanca | Cinema, 808 – 815.
- “Frozen”(2019) HD Color/Sound
- Immortal(2018) HD Color/Sound
- Daylight News…(2013) HD B/W/Sound
- 2019. “The Other Side of Digital: Detrimental Effects of Digital Technologies on Global Democracy with A Focus on Iranian Cinema,” Media in Transition Conference, MIT University.
- 2019. “By the Public, For the Public: Exhibition in the Digital Age with a Focus on the Ammar Movement in Iran,” SCMS Annual Conference – Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Seattle, Washington.
- 2018. “How to ‘Really’ Be Digital: Performance in Digital Cinema With a Focus on Iranian Alternative Cinema,” Film and History Conference, Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2018. “Musical Inspiration: The influence of Iranian Underground Music on Iranian Underground Cinema,” Music and the Moving Image (MaMI) Conference, New York, New York.
- 2017. “Cross-dressing Iranian Style: An Exploration of Cross-dressing in Iranian Comedy Films from 1995 to the Present,” SCMS Annual Conference – Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Chicago, Illinois.
- 2016. “Contemporary Iranian Cinema,” University of Wisconsin-Washington County.
- 2016. “Color Makes a Difference: The Emotional and Narrative Influence of the Patterns of Color in No Country for Old Men,” SCSMI (Society for Cognitive Studies of the Moving Image) Conference, Ithaca, New York.
- 2015. “Shoot and Run: Modes of Production in Recent Iranian Underground Cinema,” SCMS Annual Conference – Society for Cinema and Media Studies, Montréal, Québec.
- CA 355 – Introduction to Media Production
- CA 350 – Introduction to Film
- CA 100 – Introduction to Speech Composition