- Professor Emeritus
I am currently writing a book on the history of foreign films in the United States from 1946 to 1970. The project is an outgrowth of an award I received in 2001 when the Academy of Motion Arts and Sciences named me its first Academy Film Scholar.I retired at the end of spring semester 2004. I'm still interested in the ways of Hollywood and would be happy to consult with graduate students about research topics pertaining to the American film industry. I work at home almost exclusively these days; my preferred method of communication is by telephone. My number is 238-2913. Call any time before 6:00pm.
- Ph.D. Indiana University, 1964
- M.A. Indiana University, 1961
- B.A. Wabash College, 1959
- Film Scholar Grant, $25,000. Title: "A Radically Different Cinema: Foreign Films in America, 1948 to the Present." , Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences , 2001
- Short-Term Senior Scholar Award to present keynote paper at the Conference on Film Policy sponsored by the Institute for Cultural Policy Studies at Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia , Australian-American Educational Foundation (Fulbright Commission) , 1991
- Research Grant ($18,000) to support History of American Cinema: Vol. V, 1930-1939. , National Endowment for the Humanities , 1988
- Research Associateship at the American Film Institute's Center for Advanced Studies, Beverly Hills, California. , Louis B. Mayer Foundation , 1972
- Semester Salary Support. , United Artists Corporation , 1971
- 1993. Grand Design: Hollywood as a Modern Business Enterprise, 1930-1939. Volume 5 of the History of American Cinema Series. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons .
- 1990. Editor. Hollywood in the Age of Television. Boston: Unwin Hyman .
- 1987. United Artists: The Company That Changed the Film Industry. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press .
- 1985. Editor. The American Film Industry. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press .
- 1975. United Artists: The Company Built by the Stars. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press .
- 1999. "European Films on the American Screen: The Art Film Market, 1940 to the Present." Storia Del Cinema. Vol. 2 , Gian Piero Brunetta Turin: Giulio Einaudi Editore , 1463-1482 .
- 1999. "Hollywood's International Market." Storia Del Cinema. Vol. 2 , Gian Piero Brunetta Turin: Giulio Einaudi Editore , 1605-1634 .
- 1998. "'A Major Presence in All the World Markets': The Globalization of Hollywood in the 1990s." Contemporary Hollywood Cinema , Steve Neale and Murray Smith London: Routledge , 58-73 .
- 1998. "The Art Film Market in the New Hollywood." Hollywood and Europe: Economics, Culture, National Identity 1945-95 , Geoffrey Nowell-Smith and Steven Ricci London: British film Institute , 63-73 .