My doctoral research focuses on the industrial dimensions of exploitation cinema and low-budget filmmaking. My work has been published in Film History and Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, and has been supported by the Department of Communication Arts and the Mellon Foundation.
At UW-Madison, I have had the pleasure to teach film studies, film production, animation, and public speaking to over 500 undergraduates.
I currently do qualitative research in rare disease in Chicago, while putting the finishes touches on my dissertation: "From the Margins to the Mainstream: Exploitation Cinema and the New Hollywood."
- M.A. Film , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2012
- B.A. English (Honors); Film Studies; French (3.8/4.0), Vanderbilt University, Summa Cum Laude , 2006
- Mellon Wisconsin Summer Fellowship , 2017
- Chancellor's Fellowship , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2016
- The Graduate School Research Award , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2016
- SCMS Conference Student Travel Grant , Adult Film History Special Interest Group , 2016
- Elliott Dissertation Scholarship, Elliott Endowed Scholarship Fund , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2015
- PhD Preliminary Exams, Distinction/Honors, UW-Madison , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2014
- Elizabeth Warner Risser Fellowship, Film , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2013
- Pearce Award , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2012
- McCarty Scholarship Award , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2010
- 2017. "Remaking the B Film in 1940s Hollywood: Producers Releasing Corporation and the Poverty Row Programmer." Film History , 29:2 (Summer 2017),138-164. , http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/filmhistory.29.2.06 .
- 2017. "'Territory Going Fast!’: State right distribution and the early multi-reel feature." Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television , 37:4, 598-614. , http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01439685.2016.1221118 .
- 2017. "Review of Casey Ryan Kelly, Abstinence Cinema." Cinema Journal .
- 2019. "Investigating Topicality in Exploitation Cinema," Society for Cinema and Media Studies , Seattle, WA .
- 2017. "Panel Chair - Adult Film and Media Distribution," Society for Cinema and Media Studies , Chicago, IL .
- 2016. "“Wattstax (1973) as ‘Blaxploitation’ Documentary"," Visible Evidence Conference , Bozeman, MT .
- 2016. "“From ‘X’ to ‘R’: The 1970s Youth Sexploitation Cycle,”," Society for Cinema and Media Studies , Atlanta, GA .
- 2015. "“Louis Sher’s Sherpix and the US Sexploitation Market.”," Film and History Conference (Exploitation Area Chair) , Madison, WI .
- 2015. "“Buying the B Film: Story Adaptation at Producers Releasing Corporation,"," Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference , Montreal, Quebec .
- 2014. "Sexploitation in the City: Sex Film Exhibition in Boston and Minneapolis, 1960-1965," Film and History Conference , Madison, WI .
- 2013. "Andy Warhol's Lonesome Cowboys (1968) and the Sexploitation Market," Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference , Chicago, IL .
- 2013. "In the Red and Over the Top: Cannon and the Independent Action Film," Film and History Conference , Madison, WI , November 23, 2013 .
- 2013. "From Sexploitation to Star Wars: New World Pictures and Specialty Distribution in the Blockbuster Era," Southwest Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Association Annual Conference , Albuquerque, NM .
- CA 100 - Introduction to Speech Composition
- CA 350 - Introduction to Film Studies
- CA 552 - American Cinema Since 1970
- CA 357 - History of Animated Film
- CA 355 - Introduction to Media Production (Spring 2017)