- Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture
I'm a Ph.D. candidate in Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture, currently completing a dissertation under the direction of Robert Glenn Howard. Overall, my research focuses on the ways in which the internet can be used to political effect even by seemingly disempowered communities. My dissertation concerns digital rights advocacy online. I claim that network technology enables everyday individuals to develop vernacular legal expertise, with effects that can filter up into the text of the law itself. In the past, I have studied political remix video as a vernacular discourse that helps marginalized communities find a place for themselves in the media that they consume.
- M.A. Syracuse University, 2012
- B.A. Bard College, 2010
- Public Humanities Exchange (HEX) Grant , UW-Madison Center for the Humanities , 2015
- University Fellowshop , UW-Madison , 2012
- Helen K. Herman Memorial Scholarship , UW-Madison , 2013
- J. Calvin Callaghan Graduate Student Achievement Award , Syracuse University Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies , 2012
- Creative Opportunity Grant , Syracuse University College of Visual and Performing Arts , 2011
- Skuse Scholarship , Syracuse University , 2010
- Tuition Exchange Scholarship , Bard College , 2006
- 2013. ""Disciplining the Vernacular: Fair Use, YouTube, and Remixer Agency"." M/C Journal: A Journal of Media and Culture , Vol. 16, No. 4 , http://journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal/article/viewArticle/685 .
- 2014. "“Political Remix Video as a Vernacular Discourse”." The Routledge Companion to Remix Studies , Owen Gallagher, Eduardo Navas, and xtine burrough London: Routledge .
- 2013. ""Introduction to Political Remix Video"," Ashley Hinck's CA 200: Introduction to Digital Communication , UW-Madison , November 08, 2013 .
- 2013. "“Political Remix Video, Digital Argument, and the New Public Sphere”," National Communication Association Conference , Washington, D.C. , November 23, 2013 .
- 2012. "“Political Remix Video: Media-Based Resistance and the Push Toward Ultimate Modularity”," National Communication Association Conference , Orlando, FL .
- CA 200: Introduction to Digital Communication
- CA 155: Introduction to Digital Production