- Professor Emeritus
- Communication Science
- 6163 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
After retiring in 2000 from my full-time faculty position in the Department, I have continued my research, writing, and public appearances. My current research interest focuses on how our constant connection to digital devices impact our productivity, our creativity and our stress levels.My previous research focused on the impact of the mass media on children and adolescents, with special emphasis on the emotional impact of the media. The three areas of my most pronounced attention were:Media and fear, including developmental differences in what frightens children and in the best ways of reducing fears.Media violence and aggressive behavior, including ways of reducing the negative impact of media.The impact of media ratings and other techniques of shielding children from inappropriate or harmful content.In addition to writing scholarly articles and chapters, I have reached out to general audiences by converting my research findings into a parenting book, "Mommy, I'm Scared": How TV and Movies Frighten Children and What We Can Do to Protect Them" (1998), a children's book, "Teddy's TV Troubles" (2004), and "Conquer CyberOverload: Get More Done, Boost Your Creativity, and Reduce Stress." I also do evaluation research on educational and prosocial programs for young people.I frequently give workshops and lectures about the media t on the topics of stress reduction, productivity, and parenting. My speaking business is called Your Mind on Media and the web site is yourmindonmedia.com.I also have been serving as the Director of the Department's Center for Communication Research.
- Ph.D. Communications, Indiana University, 1974
- M.A. Communications, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania, 1971
- B.A. French, Cornell University, 1967
- Distinguished Scholar Award , Broadcast Education Association , 2007
- Fellow , International Communication Association , 1999
- B. Aubrey Fischer Mentorship Award , International Communication Association , 1999
- Hilldale Award in the Social Sciences , University of Wisconsin , 1999
- 2000. .
- 2000. .
- 2012. .
- 2004. Teddy's TV Troubles. Madison, WI: Goblin Fern Press .
- 1998. Mommy, I'm Scared: How TV and Movies Frighten Children and What We Can Do to Protect Them. New York: Harcourt .