- Communication Science
- 6051 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
My name is Irene Sarmiento, and I am a current Master's student in Communication Science under the mentorship of Professor Lyn Van Swol. My research interests include social support processes, specifically the utilization of advice, within close relationships.. Beginning in September 2016, I became one of the fellows for the UW-Madison Interdisciplinary Training grant within the Departments of Communication Arts and Educational Psychology, focusing on Social Media, Youth, and Assessment.
- Bonus, J.A., Peebles, A., Mares, M.L., & Sarmiento, I.G. (2017). Look on the bright side (of media effects): Pokémon Go as a catalyst for positive life experiences. Media Psychology.
Updated: June 2018
- B.A. Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2014
- UW-Madison ITP Grant: Youth Development, Social Media, and Assessment , 2017
- Helen K. Herman Memorial Fund Scholarship , UW-Madison Department of Communication Arts , 2017
- UW-Madison ITP Grant: Youth Development, Social Media, and Assessment , 2016
- Pearce Award , UW-Madison Department of Communication Arts , 2016
- Distinction within the Psychology Major , UCSB Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences , 2014
- Communication Arts 100: Introduction to Speech Composition
- Communication Arts 272: Introduction to Interpersonal Communication