- Teaching Assistant
I study film and television history. My dissertation concerns live drama on U.S. television (from the late 1940s to the early 1960s) and its legacies in television and feature film. It emphasizes the interactions between industries, technologies, production methods, and visual styles. I hope it will contribute to a historical poetics of television. I have also researched and written about European silent cinema and film technology and technique and helped to edit the film/media journal The Velvet Light Trap.
At UW–Madison I've taught film, composition, and public-speaking courses. In addition, I spent several years fundraising and grant writing for the University of Wisconsin Press. Prior to graduate school I worked in IT; scholarly publishing; and film programming, archiving, and restoration.
- M.A. Communication Arts, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2008
- B.A. Wesleyan University, 1999
- Stephen P. Jarchow Fellowship , Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research , 2010
- Helen K. Herman Memorial Fund Scholarship , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2010
- Pearce Award , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2008
- 2015. "Journal of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers / SMPTE Imaging Journal [contribution to dossier "Technology and the Trade Press"]." The Velvet Light Trap , no. 76, pp. 62–65 .
- 2014. "Case Studies of Local Film Exhibition: An Undergraduate Research Assignment." Cinema Journal Teaching Dossier , vol. 2, no. 3 - with Andrea Comiskey , http://www.teachingmedia.org/case-studies-local-film-exhibition-undergraduate-re... .
- 2013. "Visual Style in the 'Golden Age' Television Drama: The Case of CBS." CiNéMAS (special issue "Fictions télévisuelles: approches esthétiques") , Vol. 23, nos. 2/3 , http://www.erudit.org/revue/cine/2013/v23/n2-3/1015184ar.html?vue=resume&mode=re... .
- 2004. "A Simple Story, a Colorful Setting: Jacques Feyder and the 'International Film'." Collegium Papers of the Giornate del Cinema Muto , no. 5 .
- 2017. "Svenska Biografteatern and the 'Golden Age' of Swedish Cinema." Directory of World Cinema: Sweden , ed. Marcelline Block (Bristol: Intellect) .
- 2017. "'Terje Vigen'." Directory of World Cinema: Sweden , ed. Marcelline Block (Bristol: Intellect) .
- 2013. "Coeur fidèle." Directory of World Cinema: France , eds. Tim Palmer and Charlie Michael (Bristol: Intellect) .
- 2013. "El Dorado." Directory of World Cinema: France , eds. Tim Palmer and Charlie Michael (Bristol: Intellect) .
- 2015. "The 'Color-Blind' Social-Problem Drama in Television and Film: From 'A Man Is Ten Feet Tall' to 'Edge of the City'," Film & History annual conference , Madison, Wisconsin .
- 2015. "From 'Live' to 'Live-on-Tape': Videotape and the End of Live Drama on American Television," Society for Cinema and Media Studies annual conference , Montreal, Canada .
- 2014. "Beyond 'Marty': Toward a New Historiography of the First 'Golden Age' of American Television," Film & History annual conference ("Golden Ages: Styles & Personalities, Genres & Histories") , Madison, Wisconsin .
- 2012. "Melodrama and French 'Impressionism': Narrative Convention, Emotion, and Photogénie," Society for Cinema and Media Studies annual conference , Boston, Massachusetts .
- 2011. "Live Television Directors Confront Feature Filmmaking," 2nd International Colloquium of the Permanent Seminar on the History of Film Theory , Montreal, Canada .
- 2011. "Linda Looks Back: Documentary Photography and the Limits of Representation in 'Days of Heaven'," Society for Cinema and Media Studies annual conference , New Orleans, Louisiana .
- 2010. "Visual Style(s) of Live Television Drama," On, Archives! conference , Madison, Wisconsin .
- 2010. "To Zoom or Not to Zoom: Technology and Visual Excess in 1960s Hollywood," Society for Cinema and Media Studies annual conference , Los Angeles, California .
- CA 552 - American Cinema Since 1970 (TA, Lecturer)
- CA 350 - Introduction to Film (TA, Lecturer)
- CA 105 - Public Speaking (Instructor)
- CA 100 - Introduction to Speech Composition (Instructor)