- Communication Science
- 6051 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
My name is Alanna, and I am a current Ph.D. student in Communication Science under the mentorship of Professor Marie-Louise Mares. My main interest revolves around how people - particularly children - interact with and are affected by media. Starting June 2014, I became an Early Career Fellow of the Fred Roger's Center along with my former lab-mate, James Alex Bonus. We were the first researchers to be awarded this fellowship.
- Riddle, K., Peebles, A., Davis, C., Xu, F., & Schroeder, E. (accepted). The addictive potential of television binge watching: Comparing intentional and unintentional binges. Psychology of Popular Media Culture.
- Bonus, J.A., Peebles, A., Mares, M.L., & Sarmiento, I.G. (2017). Look on the bright side (of media effects): Pokémon Go as a catalyst for positive life experiences. Media Psychology.
- Martins, N., Mares, M.L., Malacane, M., & Peebles, A. (2016). Liked characters get a moral pass: Young viewers’ evaluations of social and physical aggression in tween sitcoms. Communication Research, 0093650216644016.
- Bonus, J.A., Peebles, A., & Riddle, K. (2015). The influence of violent video game enjoyment on hostile attributions. Computers in Human Behavior, 52, 472-483.
- Mayer, R.E., Lee, H., & Peebles, A. (2014). Multimedia learning in a second language: A cognitive load perspective. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 28, 653-660.
Last Updated: Oct 2017
- M.A. Communication Arts, University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2016
- B.A. Psychology, University of California - Santa Barbara, 2013
- University Fellowship , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2017
- Early Teaching Excellence Award, Nominee , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2015
- Graduate Research Fellowships Program, Honorable Mention , National Science Foundation , 2015
- Co-Author on Top Paper , International Communication Association: Children, Adolescents, and Media Division , 2014
- University Fellowship , University of Wisconsin-Madison , 2013
- The Morgan Award for Research Promise in Psychology , University of California-Santa Barbara , 2013
- Highest Honors , University of California-Santa Barbara , 2013
- Summa cum laude / Mortar Board Award (highest GPA with lowest number of transfer units in graduating class) , University of California-Santa Barbara , 2013