- Faculty Assistant
- 2155 Vilas Hall
I am a Ph.D. candidate in Film Studies, and my research focuses primarily on the musical genre. I am particularly interested in the Hollywood musical in the immediate post-studio period, and my dissertation is an industrial history of the musical from 1955 to 1975, which seeks to revise existing accounts of the genre during this period by taking a cycle-based approach to genre study. My other research interests include the Hollywood studio system, musicals on television, British cinema, and genre theory. I have been a teaching assistant for Introduction to Film Studies, American Cinema after 1970, Film History after 1960, and Introduction to Speech Composition. In addition, I have worked as a project assistant on the Wisconsin Nitrate Film Project and for the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Cinematheque, and I have served on the editorial board for THE VELVET LIGHT TRAP.
- B.A. Davidson College, 2006
- M.A. University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2009
- Helen K. Herman Memorial Fund Scholarship , UW-Madison , 2014
- Pearce Research Award , UW-Madison , 2013
- Elizabeth Warner Risser Fellowship for Film Studies , UW-Madison , 2011
- Pearce Research Award , UW-Madison , 2009
- First Year McCarty Scholarship Award , UW-Madison , 2007
- 2014. "A Musical Marriage: The Mash-Up Aesthetic as Governing Logic in Glee (co-authored with Kyra Hunting)." Quarterly Review of Film and Video , 31.4, 289-308 , http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10509208.2013.855016 .
- 2013. ""Bring the Noise!": Sonic Intensified Continuity in the Films of Edgar Wright." Music, Sound and the Moving Image , 7.2, 141-166 , http://dx.doi.org/10.3828/msmi.2013.7 .
- 2012. "Selling Bonita: The Early Career of Bonita Granville (1936-1939) and the Marketing of B Stars." The Projector: A Journal on Film, Media and Culture , Fall 2012, n.p. , http://www.bgsu.edu/content/dam/BGSU/college-of-arts-and-sciences/theatre-and-fi... .
- 2014. The Night They Invented the Golden Age: Revising the Historiography of the Hollywood Musical. Conference Presentation. Madison, WI: Film and History .
- 2014. "All They're Good For is to Make Money": The Industrial Significance of Elvis Presley Musicals in 1960s Hollywood. Conference Presentation. Seattle, WA: Society for Cinema and Media Studies .
- 2013. Songs and Shadows: The Question of the Classic Film Noir Musical, 1941-1958. Conference Presentation. Chicago, IL: Society for Cinema and Media Studies .
- 2012. Musical Marriage: The Mash-Up as Governing Principle in GLEE. Conference Presentation. Boston, MA: Society of Cinema and Media Studies .
- 2011. Bring the Noise: Intensified Continuity in the Sound Design of the Works of Edgar Wright. Conference Presentation. New Orleans, LA: Society of Cinema and Media Studies .
- CA 100 - Introduction to Speech Composition
- CA 350 - Introduction to Film Studies
- CA 353 - Film History After 1960
- CA 552 - American Cinema After 1970