Ashley A. Hinck
- Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture
- 2156 Vilas Hall
- By appointment
My research examines fan citizenship performances, and as such sits at the intersection of rhetoric, fan studies, and internet studies. Whether it's Harry Potter, the Packers, or the Vampire Diaries, we're all fans of something. Remarkably, fan groups and nonprofits have deployed fandom to create social change through protest, charity donations, and volunteer work. In these deployments, fandom becomes a pathway to a public subjectivity. Importantly, these deployments have significant implications for our conceptualizations of citizenship, the circulation of public discourses, and the possibilities for social change.
- M.A. The University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2011
- B.A. Creighton University, 2008
- Top Four Student Papers in Rhetorical and Communication Theory Division , National Communication Association , 2009
- HEX (Humanities Exposed) Grant , The UW-Madison Center for Humanities , 2012
- Honored Instructor Award , University Housing (UW-Madison) , 2013
- Communication-B Teaching Assistant Fellow , The UW-Madison Writing Across the Curriculum Program , 2014
- Teaching Fellow , The UW-Madison College of Letters & Science , 2014
- Travel Grant , National Communication Association Women's Caucus , 2011
- Pearce Award , The UW-Madison Communication Arts Department , 2011
- Vilas Research Travel Award , The UW-Madison Graduate School , 2013
- Helen K. Herman Memorial Scholarship , UW-Madison Communication Arts Department , 2012
- Elliot Dissertation Research Award , UW-Madison Communication Arts Department , 2013
- The Elizabeth Warner Risser Fellowship , UW-Madison Communication Arts Department , 2014
- 2015. "Ethical frameworks and Ethical Modalities: Theorizing Communication and Citizenship in a Fluid World." Communication Theory , forthcoming , http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/comt.12062/abstract .
- 2013. "Framing the Video Essay as Argument." The Cinema Journal Teaching Dossier , 1(2) , http://www.teachingmedia.org/framing-the-video-essay-as-argument/ .
- 2012. "Theorizing a Public Engagement Keystone: Understanding Fandom as a Path to Civic Engagement through the Case of the Harry Potter Alliance." Transformative Works and Cultures , 10 , http://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/311/276 .
- 2007. "Seeing the Visual in Argumentation: A Rhetorical Analysis of UNICEF Belgium's Smurf PSA as a Site of Visual Argumentation (co-authored with Katie Hatfield and Marty Birkholt)." Argumentation and Advocacy , (43) 144-151 .
- 2014. "Serving online communities: Service-learning, internet studies, and online education." Community engagement 2.0?: Dialogues on the future of the civic in the disrupted university , Scott Crabill and Dan Butin New York: Palgrave and Macmillan .
- 2012. "Building Bridges Between Sports and Communication: The Warm-Up Jog for the Communication Classroom." Teaching Communication Creatively , Faith Mullen and William Mullen Lynchburg, VA: Liberty University Press , 91-94 .
- Ashley Hinck. 2014. Why Rhetoricians Need to Pay Attention to Fan Culture. Blog Post. http://rhetoric.commarts.wisc.edu/. Rhetorically Speaking .
- Ashley Hinck. 2014. Popular Culture and Politics: The Hunger Games 3-Finger Salute in Thai Protests. Blog Post. http://blog.commarts.wisc.edu/2014/06/04/popular-culture-and-politics-the-hunger-games-3-finger-salute-in-thai-protests/. Antenna .
- Ashley Hinck. 2014. Thai Protesters’ Use of the Hunger Games 3-Finger Salute as a Form of Resistance and Critique. Blog Post. http://rhetoric.commarts.wisc.edu/. Rhetorically Speaking .
- Ashley Hinck and Judy Y. 2014. China, Japan, and Lord Voldemort. Blog post. http://rhetoric.commarts.wisc.edu/. Rhetorically Speaking .
- Ashley Hinck. 2014. Team Jack: What It Means to Be a Husker. Blog post. http://rhetoric.commarts.wisc.edu/. Rhetorically Speaking .
- Ashley Hinck. 2011. Harry Potter Takes Fans from Apathy to Activism. Blog post. http://blog.commarts.wisc.edu/2011/01/24/harry-potter-takes-fans-from-apathy-to-activism/. Antenna .
- Kent Watson and Brian Standing. 2013. Geeks save the world. Interview. http://www.wortfm.org/geeks-save-the-world/. WORT 89.9 FM, The 8 O'Clock Buzz .
- Jennie Price. 2013. Q&A: Turning fandom into political and social action. Interview. http://www.news.wisc.edu/22036. UW-Madison News .
- Mary Ellen Gabriel. 2012. New certificate program offers ‘liberal arts approach to digital literacy'. Interview. http://news.ls.wisc.edu/. UW-Madison's College of Letters and Sicence's Annual Report: The LIberal Arts Advantage .
- CA 100 - Introduction to Speech Composition
- CA 155 - Introduction to Digital Production
- CA 200 - Digital Communication
- CA 260 - Communication and Human Behavior
- CA 262 - Argumentation